Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Vows

Jay and I wrote our own vows to each other and to our families. We loved the thoughtful and personal touch they added to our ceremony. To each other we vowed:

As I stand before you, our family, and our Lord on this blessed day,
I vow to give unto you
my whole heart and soul as your husband/wife.

I swear to accept and love you unconditionally;
to be by your side to support you in your darkest moments
and celebrate you in your brightest.

I vow to nurture your passions and your spirit;
to work not only for happiness,
but for understanding and grace in us.

I vow to indiscriminately open myself to you;
to constantly seek to understand both you
and our place together in this ever-changing world.

I vow to accept you as the person you are
and the person you will become.

I promise to fight for you and the family we create,
to build everthing else around that,
placing nothing, including myself at times,
above these precious gifts.

And when my time in this life ends,
I vow to wait ever so patiently for you in the Mystery around us.

To you I give everything I have,
everything I know,
everything I hope for,
and everything I am.


To our new in-laws we wrote and recited:

To you I vow to be the unconditionally loving,
supportive and selfless partner you always wished for your son/daughter
and I vow to be a loyal and contributing member to my new family.

To our own families we wrote and recited:

To you I vow in my marriage
to live out the values of patience, love and understanding
that you have instilled in me and pass on this legacy to your grandchildren.

No comments: